JOHN 14 – the Comforter - the Spiritual Manifestation
Jesus would leave the disciples in how they knew him, in bodily, human form. And he would return to them in spiritual form. They didn’t ask who was coming when he told them that he will come to them as “another comforter”, but they wondered “how”. See verse 22.
King James version:
v1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. v2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. v3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. v4 And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know. v5 Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way? v6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. v7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him. v8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us. v9Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? v10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. v11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake. v12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
v13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. v14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it. v15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
v16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; v17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. v18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. v19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also. v20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you. v21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him. v22 Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world? v23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. v24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me. v25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you. v26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. v27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. v28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I. v29 And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe. v30 Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me. v31 But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence."
Strong's Concordance G3875 is found five times in scripture (KJV). John 14:16, 14:26, 15:26, 16:7 and 1 John 2:1 - Its usage is: an ADVOCATE, Intercessor, a consoler, COMFORTER, helper, Paraclete or Parakletos. Take a look at the above illustration. Read 1 John 2:1: "My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an ADVOCATE with the Father, JESUS CHRIST THE RIGHTEOUS."
In the chapter of John 14 are hidden many clues from Jesus’ own words. But when people are told by their leaders one particular verse, ignoring the context and storyline of Jesus’ testimony all throughout the book of John, chapters 14, 15, 16 and 17, their ability to absorb anything else becomes a mute point.
We are referring to John 14:16 – “And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;”
Lets take a look at this word, “Comforter” in the Strong’s Concordance (G3875).
Comforter = Paraklétos: called to one's aid
Original Word: παράκλητος, ου, ὁ Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: paraklétos Phonetic Spelling: (par-ak'-lay-tos)
Definition: called to one's aid
Usage: (a) an advocate, intercessor, (b) a consoler, comforter, helper, (c) Paraclete.
This word Comforter shows up five times in the New Testament with the main Greek word of “paraklétos.” Including John 14:16, it is used as “Comforter” four times, and then it is used as “Advocate” once. That last usage is found in 1 John 2:1 as it spells it out without the usage of Jesus speaking in parables, that this Comforter aka Advocate is Jesus Christ! And we know Christ was speaking in parables (third person language actually) because it trips up so many people, AND he confirms it in John 16:25.
John 14:26 - But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
John 15:26 - But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:
John 16:7 - Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
1 John 2:1 - My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
Towards the end of John 16, we see a confirmation of what was taking place by Jesus speaking in first person and switching to third person language. It can be awfully difficult for many to understand. These two verses confirm the mere mention of Jesus speaking to them in proverbs (parables). And it is confirmed back to him by his disciples.
Proverb – Parable speaking
John 16:25 – “These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father.”
John 16:29 – “His disciples said unto him, Lo, now speakest thou plainly, and speakest no proverb.”
Why did Jesus speak in parables? Because His message was not meant to be understood by just anyone and everyone. And that still holds for today. How many clues did Jesus give to us, as to who was the Comforter that would come to the disciples? MANY! There are many and outweigh any mystery ghost being taught in the churches today. Do whatever you have to, to reconcile your mind to the Bible instead of the Bible to your mind (thinking).
Also reference this page that illustrates the difference between Jesus speaking in first person and third person (illeism) language. https://www.truthseeker.church/jesus-speaking-in-first-and-third-p
Clues to John 14
1) v3 He said that he will come again and receive you unto “myself”. (himself)
2) v6 Jesus is the channel, the way to the Father. There is nothing or no one else. He is our go between, our mediator. Jesus says that he is the way, THE TRUTH, and the life.
3) v7-9 Because Christ is Begotten of the Father before the creation of the world, he has a special identity. He has the same nature and character of the Father. He came out from God and was sent from God. He is the express image of the Father. So in knowing the Son of God, you know God in heaven.
4) v10-11 The Father’s Spirit dwells in Christ, the Spirit of God also referred to as the Holy Spirit. That is how the Father communicates to His Son and tells Him what and how to speak.
5) v12 This verse ends with a hint that Jesus is leaving them soon.
6) v13-14 Jesus tells them to pray, to ask in His name. Not someone else. And he will do it. By doing so, the Father will be glorified in the Son.
7) v15 Are we to be obedient in the instruction from Jesus? If you love me, keep my commandments. Remember the Father is speaking to us through His Son.
8) v16 Another Comforter–a substitute of Christ being in their presence in physical, earthly human form–will abide (be with) with you for ever.
9) v17 He says the Spirit of Truth the world cannot receive because they don't see him or know him. But the Spirit of Truth THEY know (the disciples), because he currently was dwelling with them and will be IN THEM. Jesus said in verse 6 that he is the way, the “truth”, and the life. What would be the Spirit of truth if he is “the truth”? It would be His spirit, the Spirit of Christ also referred to here as the Spirit of truth.
Spirit of truth – world can’t receive because it doesn’t know him or see him.
Spirit of truth – the disciples know him and the Spirit of truth dwells with them.
Who was dwelling with them at that moment? Christ in the flesh (bodily form)
Spirit of truth – now it will be in them (the disciples)
Spirit + Christ = Spirit of Christ
Christ in His Spirit is the Spirit of Truth
10) v18 Then he confirms this by saying, I will not leave you comfortless, I will come to you. Does that say he is sending a friend? Someone else? NO, it is Jesus speaking about HIMSELF in direct first person language. Something he doesn't do very much. No proverb or parable speaking in third person language here.
11) v19 Jesus tells them that the world is not going to see him any more. But they will still see Him because He lives.
12) v20 He states that He is in the Father, they are in him, and Jesus is in them. Working in union or unity, one in purpose and character. A real trinity. The union of a true Christian, his creator = God the Father, and Jesus Christ, the Son of God. “I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you.”
13) v21 Jesus says that he will manifest HIMSELF unto the believer. He will come upon them through the Spirit. He can’t do that in bodily form as a human, he is speaking in a future time frame as in very soon.
14) v22 Judas asked HOW are you going to do this. (??) How are you going to manifest YOURSELF to us and not the world. Judas didn't ask 'WHO'. They knew who was going to come back to them in a spiritual form, but they weren’t sure HOW He was going to do it.
15) v23 Jesus says that HE and the FATHER will come and make their abode with the believer. It is thru this one spirit (Ephesians 2:18) that they will dwell with us (John 14:17). That is TWO, not three or anyone else. TWO!
16) v26 The Comforter, aka the Holy Spirit that the Father will send in my name. Who's name will the Holy Spirit be sent in? Jesus Christ. What is it? A Holy Spirit. So it is the Holy Spirit of Christ or we could say, the Spirit of Christ. Not some other unknown third divine being.
the Comforter (Advocate) refer to 1 John 2:1
Comforter = Holy Ghost (Spirit) = Father will send in Christ’s name
Comforter = Spirit that is holy (Holy Spirit) + in Christ’s name
Comforter = Holy Spirit of Christ also known as the Spirit of Christ
He will teach you all things and remind you of all things
How is this so? We don’t know. That is dealing with THE NATURE of this.
17) v28 I am going away, but will come unto you again. Jesus would leave them, go to heaven to be GLORIFIED (refer to that subject in this same book) and return to them in the Spirit.
18) v29 Jesus tells them this before it happens so when it does happen, they will realize what is going on and believe.
"the world seeth me no more" v19 The world "seeth him not" v17
"but ye see me" v19 "but ye know him" v17
Jesus was with them at that time "he dwelleth with you" v17
"I in you" v20 "shall be in you" v17
"I will come to you" v18 "give you another comforter" v16
"Lo, I am with you alway, even. "he may abide with you forever" v16
unto the end of the world.” Matt. 28:20
Lets review the clues from Jesus in JOHN 14:
I will come again, and receive you unto myself.
I am the way, THE TRUTH, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me.
whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son
ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
the Spirit of truth - ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
ye shall know that I in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you. (THE BIBLICAL TRINITY)
and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him. (COME TO HIM IN SPIRIT FORM)
how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?
we will come unto him, and make our abode with him (FATHER AND SON COME AND DWELL WITH THE BELIEVER)
Comforter, the Holy Ghost , the Father will send in my name. (CHRIST NAME – THE SPIRIT OF CHRIST)
Ye have heard how I said unto you, I GO AWAY, and COME AGAIN UNTO YOU.
Jesus Speaks What He Hears, “not of myself”
Notice the Parallels Between Jesus and the Spirit of Truth
Jesus, the Son of Man, the Son of God
John 5:30 - I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.
John 7:17-18 - If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself. v18 He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.
John 8:28 - Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.
John 12:49-50 - For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak. v50 And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.
John 14:10 - Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
John 14:24 - He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.
John 17:8 - For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me.
Revelation 1:1 - The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:
The Spirit of Truth
(future tense of the Spirit of Christ that would come):
John 16:13 - Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.